Why do we love olive oil ice cream?
It’s heart-healthy, delicious, simple to make, and requires few ingredients. The subtle flavors of EVOO awaken the senses with sweet, grassy overtones melting into a savory, peppered finish. Olive oil ice cream makes a unique and memorable treat for guests that can be whipped up in the comfort of your own kitchen.
We love olive oil ice cream so much that we’ve created a few variations — so you can continue to indulge in the fresh flavors of EVOO all summer long.
Let us know which recipe you love most!
Toscano EVOO Gelato
Our mouthwatering EVOO gelato is creamy and fresh, invoking the verdant tastes of summer. This rich traditional recipe allows the delicate flavors of EVOO to shine through. The intense fruit and spicy notes of Bellucci Toscano PGI Organic combine well with sweet vanilla and almond notes to bring you a well-rounded, indulgent treat that will literally melt in your mouth.
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks (room temperature)
- ⅔ cup of your favorite Bellucci EVOO (we suggest Bellucci Toscano PGI Organic)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Combine the milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract and kosher salt in a saucepan. Heat the mixture just until it starts to simmer, and remove from heat. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and egg yolks. Use a whisk or hand mixer to beat the sugar and yolks until pale yellow, about 2 minutes. While whisking slowly add the Bellucci EVOO in a thin steady stream until fully incorporated, about another 3 minutes.
- Take 1 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture and whisk into the egg mixture, mix well to combine. Then add all of the egg mixture back into the saucepan of milk and cream, continuing to whisk to combine. Heat the mixture slowly to 180F (use an instant read thermometer). The custard will be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely cold.
- Transfer the cold mixture to your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
Serve your EVOO gelato with a healthy splash of extra virgin olive oil and a light sprinkle of fleur de sal. Or, for a rich and alluring contrast, blend a few tablespoons of your favorite Bellucci EVOO with cocoa powder and a dollop of honey. It makes a decadent drizzle your guests won’t forget!
Non-Dairy EVOO Gelato
Our non-dairy version is incredibly easy — and equally delightful! Simply follow the recipe above, replacing the heavy cream with equal parts coconut cream. Because the coconut cream imparts its own flavor, we also omit the vanilla extract and substitute it, 1:1, with amaretto or bourbon. All other instructions remain the same!
The No-Churn Version of EVOO Gelato
No ice cream maker? No problem! This version is just for you. Its melty texture and sweetness pair well with tart fruit or salty pistachios, and don’t forget to add a peppery drizzle of Bellucci Sicilia PGI Organic.
- 2 (14 ounce) containers of sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup of your favorite Bellucci EVOO (we suggest Bellucci Sicilia PGI Organic)
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Combine both cans of condensed milk, the extract, and Bellucci EVOO in a large bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Add ⅓ of the whipped cream to the large bowl, and stir. Gently fold in the remaining whipped cream, taking care to preserve aeration of the mixture.
- Use a rubber spatula to transfer your EVOO ice cream mix to a glass bowl or loaf pan. Carefully smooth plastic wrap over the top of the mixture, to avoid ice crystals.
- Freeze for at least 5 hours. Allow to thaw several minutes prior to serving, if a creamier texture is preferred. Enhance with your favorite garnish, as noted above.